September 07, 2008

Snatches of happiness

The pace at work momentarily slowed down last Friday with the client's handshake at the end of my two-hour presentation, wrapping up the last of the projects I'm involved with for this quarter.

I've been looking forward to that feeling -- a light, cool sensation (and light-headedness due to lack of sleep) that filled me up little by little as I walked out of the heavily-guarded building in Makati and made my way back to the office in Quezon City via jeepney and mass transit.

Contact with the hustling and bustling masses during Friday weekend rush shook away the toxic residue of work, and by the time I reached my desk, the feeling was complete.

There's time again for the simple joys in life. At least, until Monday.

So I took the small bag under my desk, changed to my running outfit and went out to do something I haven't done in years: jog around UP Campus.

I charted a course that covered my most memorable areas: Krus na Ligas, Hardin ng Bougainvilla and Hardin ng Rosas, Math Building, NIGS, College of Science, the “Sunrise Cottage”, Marine Institute, the playground at Executive House, the UP Printing Press, Quezon Hall (Oblation), the Lagoon, Faculty Center, Palma Hall, Main Libe, the Sunken Garden, Grandstand and Vinzon’s Hall, UP Arcade, UP Chapel, the Shopping Center, Area 2, the Kalayaan, Sanggumay, Yakal, and Molave Residence Halls, UP Film Center, UP Theater, the Track Oval, the DMST/Vanguard Building, Ylanan Road, and finally UP-CMC.

It was the ultimate treat. Amid the flood of memories and pain of protesting muscles, I was reminded of my recent thoughts this past month.

I turned 33 last August 29, and for the third consecutive year, I spent my birthday at work. By spending I mean every hour and minute of it. In 2006 and 2007, I was out on fieldwork, and in both years I celebrated my birthday in the provinces with colleagues.

This year was no different – I woke up, worked, celebrated, and ended my birthday in the vicinity of the workplace.

Perhaps it’s a good thing that I have been used to celebrating my birthdays alone and away from family. The last time there was a family member present was on my 21st birthday, when my mother happened to be in Manila for a conference (back then she gave me the most unusual present for my age – a toy robot).

Anyway, there were a lot more reasons for me to be happy.

This year my birthday fell on the same day the office held its annual general assembly. It turned out to be a blast -- free food and booze for all, courtesy of the office, with videoke on the side. It was nice to see the new staffs share a little bit more of themselves when it was their turn to sing.

Thanks to my wife, another group was celebrating and giving thanks for my birthday with a simple salo-salo somewhere in Manila.

Birthday greetings came, on the day and days after, from people who mattered to me more than they would probably realize.

I had my first taste of Perfect World territorial wars (TW) yesterday. It lasted only for 15 minutes, and we lost to the defending clan. But now that the clan had its first taste of the TW adrenaline rush, I'm sure it won't be long before we'll be invading another territory.

I had a good chat with friends just recently, and was reminded of the simple joys that seem to have gone hibernating in my life.

And finally, yet another pleasant surprise when I get to chat with my sister in Liverpool for the first time. Hurray to YM and webcam!

Hurray to life's simple joys.

***

When I first saw Transformers Animated (TFA), I readily thought it would be tough to come up with a toy line for this series.

How will this series look, and transform, as toys?

I was never convinced until the first batch of TFA toys hit the shelves of Toy Kingdom in Ayala.

I was so impressed I took home Blackarachnia, and soon I'll add Prowl to my collection.

1 comment:

Cecilia said...

That's exactly what life is all about - the simple joys that go unnoticed until we pause, take a step back and appreciate. Strange though how it's supposed to be simple yet we miss them...

I want these back

I can't recall the last time I doodled, and out of nowhere, this came out today during our flag ceremony. Okay, maybe not ou...