September 10, 2011

The ber phenomenon

Major TV networks wasted no time demonstrating just how early Christmas is in this country.

But somehow the first thing that came out my mouth that early September 1 morning, when I heard the Christmas carol, was

"Anak ng..."

It's not for lack of that feel-good, Christmas feeling. At my age, I think I've already succeeded in fooling myself that every day is Christmas and Valentines day.

It's that time of the year when the basic indicators for petty crimes -- robbery, theft/break-in, and physical violence -- take an upward trend.

And there's a fast-growing trend in crime in the metro: underage offenders. Every year these untouchables are bolder, more violent, and more creative.

Before, you might only worry about parting with your meal when youngsters gather around you, asking for your take-out drinks and Jolly cheeseburger. These days, you have to worry about your personal safety around kids that move in groups.

The "bukas-kotse" routine in Guadalupe along EDSA is just a sample of how the underage offenders have evolved. They know exactly they are immune from criminal prosecution.

This gives the line "Christmas is for children" a whole new meaning.

And I just don't like it. Anak ng...

No comments:

I want these back

I can't recall the last time I doodled, and out of nowhere, this came out today during our flag ceremony. Okay, maybe not ou...