April 24, 2011

Most important

Fifteen years of doing applied survey research taught me to not only respect diversity of opinions, but to also recognize that the majority opinion isn't necessarily the right one.

The First Quarter 2011 SWS survey found that about 6 out of ten (57%) of adult Filipinos "consider Christmas as a more important day than Easter Sunday".

Which is why I'm glad that Fr. Jun Sescon, Chaplain at the Greenbelt chapel, pointed this out in his homily.

Without discrediting the survey results (unlike the favorite reaction now of certain people in government), Fr. Jun set the record straight that Easter is the most important Christian holiday. While Christmas is the beginning of Christ's mission, Easter represents its fulfillment.

"It is what gives meaning to everything."

Joan and I like how Fr. Jun always say the right words. ^^

The majority preference for Christmas over Easter reflects the people's closer affinity to all that is traditionally more joyous and merrier.

Plus, as Fr. Jun also mentioned, it's during Christmas that one gets to receive gifts.

I'm not religious nor am I well-versed in my own faith, but somehow I believe Easter gives us a more important gift -- hope.

Happy Easter to all!

No comments:

I want these back

I can't recall the last time I doodled, and out of nowhere, this came out today during our flag ceremony. Okay, maybe not ou...