March 14, 2008

My prrrreciousssss....

... is back!

My wedding ring got lost on the night of February 9, at the school grounds of Hapao Elementary School during a cultural show organized by SitMo.

It was handed back to me this morning by Jun, a staff from the Office of the Mayor of Hungduan.

Thanks to Weng of SitMo, who chanced upon my blog on February 20, and called up Hapao Elementary School.

As it turned out, a Grade Six pupil found it, but they didn't know where to return it until Weng spoke with the Principal. From then on, Weng facilitated the ring's transport all the way from Ifugao to Quezon City, with the help of Grace and Jun from the Office of the Mayor, Hungduan.

To Weng, Nilo, Vlad, Grace, Jun, all of SitMo team, the Principal of Hapao Elementary School, and the Grade Six pupil who found my ring...

Maraming salamat sa inyo!

***

This incident with my wedding ring reminded of how coordinated and cooperative the people of Hungduan are. It wasn't obvious at first, when we arrived there on Day One.

It only became apparent to me when we were on our way home.

As we left Hungduan, we passed by not one, not two, but three drunk men along the way. One thing was common -- they all look peaceful. Intoxicated, yes, but all with contented looks on their faces, quietly (and wobbly) finding their way home after a long day.

We pointed this out to Nilo, who then explained that the day before, a liquor ban was imposed in consideration of the visitors.

No wonder there was not a single "eksenang inuman" around the town during our visit.

A show of efficient local governance working in small, subtle ways.

'Ala lang. ^ ^

No comments:

I want these back

I can't recall the last time I doodled, and out of nowhere, this came out today during our flag ceremony. Okay, maybe not ou...