May 20, 2007

Break

Another election season is coming to an end. Thank God for keeping the people vigilant, and for keeping my mother safe. I pray still that there be no further violence as the counting proceeds.

This would be my fifth election since I reached voting age, and the fourth since I joined an organization with an advocacy to listen to public opinion, including voting preferences.

Being in such an organization has its perks and disadvantages.

I had not voted in the 1998, 2001, and 2004 elections because we were stationed in the provinces to observe and supervise the conduct of the exit polls. Region VI, which includes Aklan, Iloilo, Antique, Capiz, and Negros Occidental, was my typical area of responsibility.

But while I had not exercised my right to vote, I had the chance to travel and meet some of the most interesting people.

In the past three elections, we were like storm chasers braving natural and man-made dangers, interviewing as many voters as possible during the voting period, executing a week's worth of preparation in just one day.

It was exhilarating, and at the end of each election season, whether or not the exit polls hit the bulls eye in predicting the election results, the feeling of accomplishment was indescribable.

This year's election is a bit different.

There's no exit poll for us, but what we lacked in the day-of-election survey, we made up by pulling off as many pre-election surveys as possible, keeping the media busy with an average of three media releases a week and accommodating as many TV and radio interviews as possible.

In short, we made sure the name SWS was in at least one major broadsheet daily, and mentioned in the airwaves at least once everyday, before we take a break on election day.

I guess we did a decent job doing that.

At the end of our last survey prior to election day, when the data had been analyzed and reports were submitted, the Techies had a chance to breathe a sigh of relief, and take a short break.

That night, a bottle of beer saved me.

It took just one San Mig light (and lots of Mang Jimmy's yummy grilled delights) to unravel the knots in my hyper acidic stomach, ease the tension in my caffeine-soaked body, bring sleep to my double-bagged eyes, and silence the ringing in my head.

And that night, after the longest time being cooped inside my cubicle struggling to keep up with the deadlines, it felt good to see my fellow Techies again in a different light, and listen to them talk in a different language.

I missed them a lot.

We went on a trip for a much-needed break on the day of elections. I’ll write about it next.

No comments:

I want these back

I can't recall the last time I doodled, and out of nowhere, this came out today during our flag ceremony. Okay, maybe not ou...